I used to think fat loss meant adding more cardio, but lately I’ve been paying way more attention to how much I actually move during the day. Getting 8–10k steps in doesn’t feel like cardio, but it adds up without leaving my legs wrecked. I started tracking my steps a few months back and was honestly surprised by how little I moved on busy workdays.
Anyone else keeping an eye on daily steps or do you guys just rely on gym cardio?
Steps are huge for me. I’d rather get a solid walk in every day than destroy myself with HIIT 4 times a week. 
Same. I started parking farther away, taking the stairs and walking during lunch. Nothing crazy, but those little things stack up.Gguntherr wrote: ↑Fri Sep 18, 2026 5:14 pm I used to think fat loss meant adding more cardio, but lately I’ve been paying way more attention to how much I actually move during the day. Getting 8–10k steps in doesn’t feel like cardio, but it adds up without leaving my legs wrecked. I started tracking my steps a few months back and was honestly surprised by how little I moved on busy workdays.Anyone else keeping an eye on daily steps or do you guys just rely on gym cardio?
I’m guilty of barely moving on workdays.
Gym session looks great on my tracker and then I realize I sat on my ass for the other 12 hours.
I like steps because they don’t beat me up. When I’m dieting and already trying to keep my lifts strong, adding a ton of hard cardio can make recovery pretty rough.
This is exactly what I’ve been noticing. Once I started watching my daily steps, I realized there were days where I trained hard but barely moved otherwise. Now I just try to get up and walk more throughout the day instead of automatically adding another cardio session.
I don’t obsess over hitting exactly 10k, but having a step target keeps me from turning into a couch potato after work.
Makes staying active way more automatic.
Big fan of walking during a cut. Throw on some music or a podcast and just knock out a few walks. Way easier to stay consistent with that than trying to redline the bike every damn day.