My back still feels like it has more in the tank, but my grip is tapping out first on heavy deadlifts.
I’ve thought about using straps, but I don’t want to become completely dependent on them. What actually helped you guys build stronger grip more direct grip work, holds, different variations or just more time under the bar?
I’d start with dead hangs and heavy static holds. Nothing fancy, just make your hands get used to holding serious weight.M34Daniel wrote: ↑Mon Aug 31, 2026 4:58 pm My back still feels like it has more in the tank, but my grip is tapping out first on heavy deadlifts.I’ve thought about using straps, but I don’t want to become completely dependent on them. What actually helped you guys build stronger grip more direct grip work, holds, different variations or just more time under the bar?
Straps aren’t the enemy IMO. I’ll go strapless on warmups and my first few working sets, then throw straps on once grip becomes the limiting factor. I’d rather train my back hard than turn every heavy set into a grip workout.
Farmer carries helped my grip a ton. Added them at the end of pull days and noticed a difference after a few weeks.
Same issue used to happen to me. I started doing double-overhand for as long as I could before switching to straps. Also stopped death-gripping the bar on every rep. That made a bigger difference than I expected.
Honestly, just more exposure to heavy pulls helped. My grip was trash when I first started deadlifting heavy, but it caught up over time.
Chalk + better grip training. Seriously. If your hands are sweaty, you’re fighting the bar for no reason. 
I use straps on my top sets and don’t feel bad about it. Grip strength is important, but if the goal of the day is back development, I’m not letting my forearms shut the whole session down. I still train grip separately.
Try timed holds after deadlifts. Load up a weight you can safely hold and just hang onto it for 15–30 seconds. Progress the time or weight slowly. My grip got noticeably stronger doing that.
For me it was a combo: chalk, double-overhand on the lighter work, direct grip work, straps for the heaviest back-focused sets. Best of both worlds IMO. No reason to make your lower back wait around while your fingers are filing a complaint. 
