Got quoted 4,500 for a clutch replacement, is that normal here?
My Yaris started slipping gears badly last week and I finally took it in thinking it just needed adjustment. The guy looked at it for ten minutes and told me the clutch is gone and quoted me 4,500 dirhams, which honestly made me laugh out loud because the car isn't even worth that much. I paid 18k for it two years ago and now I'm looking at a quarter of its value just to keep it on the road. I know clutch jobs aren't cheap but that number felt wildly high compared to what I expected. I started asking around and got everything from 2,200 to 5,000 depending on who I spoke to, which tells me there's no standard pricing and everyone just charges whatever they think they can get away with. A mate suggested I look into an affordable auto repair service in Dubai instead of going to the first place I found, but I'm worried affordable means they'll use cheap parts that fail in six months and I'll be back where I started. Where's the line between getting a fair deal and getting rubbish work? Has anyone had a clutch or similar major job done recently and mind sharing what you actually paid? I'm not looking to cheap out, I just don't want to be the guy who overpaid by a thousand dirhams because he didn't do his homework.